Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rhubarb, Rhubarb, Rhubarb

As I said I have or had rhubarb coming out of my ears. I love rhubarb. When I was a kid my grandma use to make a rhubarb dessert soup that we would put fresh cream over. It was wonderful served on a hot day. She also made rhubarb pie, not strawberry rhubarb just rhubarb. Mmm, so good! I have not attempted a rhubarb pie but hope to this week. Yesterday was family dinner night (will explain in a later post) so I made rhubarb cake. This is a very tasty, wonderfully moist cake. I would like to give some credit for this recipe but all I know is that my mom made it and passed it on to me. Here is the recipe.

Rhubarb Cake

1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 egg beaten
2 c. Flour
1 tea. baking soda
2 c. rhubarb (I add more just because I love the taste)
1 c. sour milk (2 tbls vinegar, finish cup with milk, let stand until it starts to curdle, 1 min. or so)
1 tsp. vanilla
Topping

1/4 c. butter
1 tea. cinnamon
1/4 c. sugar
crumble with pastry blender or fork

Mix all ingredients together, pour into a 9x13in pan, add topping and put in a 350 degree oven for 45 min. Or double the recipe and put in a 11x15in pan for the same amount of time.

disclaimer:
I truly believe and try to live by the principles of Nourishing Traditions (by Sally Fallon). As you can see this recipe does not follow any of those principles (except the butter). I am going to work with the recipe next week to make it more healthy. These are the things I am thinking. I will replace the white flour with whole wheat flour and soak the flour in the sour milk for 12-24 hours. I am also thinking I may try to use buttermilk instead of the sour milk for soaking. The other major issue is the sugar. I have not worked much with sugar replacement. I use honey in several recipes but I have never replaced honey for sugar. I could try stevia, rapadura or some other natural sweetener. If you have any ideas send them my way. I will re-post the recipe with the healthy changes.

3 comments:

christa jean said...

Hi again.
I also have rhubarb coming out my ears and I also love the N.T book (although our budget has changed drastically recently and I can't buy organic like I used to) and I also made a rhubarb cake last week! It was slightly different than your recipe, calling for sour cream and brown sugar. I thought, like you, that I would substitute some ingredients, especially flour. I used a whole wheat pastry flour (Bob's, I think) and I have to say that the cake turned out too dense and not very sweet.

I was making some for new neighbors too and then decided against that. I didn't want to give them a "cake" that tasted like health food, even though that's what I like!
Anywho, I'll be interested to hear what else you try!

Erika said...

yum yum - I can't wait to make this soon. Thanks for sharing. I may do wheat flour just b/c it's what I have on hand...we'll see how that turns out...
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
(diet? what diet?)
good to see you last night, btw.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, such an example I am being! I am not only using white flour in my cake, but marshmallows too.The strawberry rhubarb bake I made in our grill a couple weeks ago with granola topping, sweetened with maple and honey was much more NT:)

I am also using it in a pork recipe in the next week or so and will let you know how it turns out.

See you Sunday!