Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving Meal Plan

I know it has been several weeks since I have posted a meal plan. With Shane gone I am not as active in the kitchen. We still have family dinner with my brothers and friends once a week but the rest of the week the girls and I usually go for soup, salad, cereal, yogurt or apple sauce. Since this is such a big food week I thought I would let you in on some of my plans.

I was just about to say that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday but that is not really true. If it was Easter I would probably say the same thing. The truth is I just love holidays in general. I love getting together with friends and family. I love the food that accompanies holidays. I just love everything about all holidays.

This year, as we do most years we are going to spend Thanksgiving day with my Uncle Harold and Aunt Rita's family. This has been a tradition in our family for many years. I can only remember one or two Thanksgiving dinners that we were not together. Aunt Rita make a fabulous, traditional dinner. This years I will be adding to the dinner with corn casserole and green jello salad. I may also put together a little appetizer of artichoke cheese dip, mmm! I just can't wait for our Thanksgiving together. Plus Shane is coming home for a few days which is a bonus for us.

Another tradition that I started last years is, what we call, Thanksgiving Re-Run. On the Saturday after Thanksgiving I prepare a Thanksgiving dinner at our home. We invite family and friends (especaily those who do not have a family to celebrate Thanksgiving with) to our home and just enjoy food, fellowship and more food. This is what I will be preparing.

Dinner
Brine Turkey
Real Mashed Potatoes
Corn Casserole
Rolls
Cranberry sauce - I am trying a new recipe this year Cranberry sauce with honey and rosemary
Orange Jello salad - just for Derek
Stuffing - I have never made this before but am going to attempt
Delicata squash - Roasted, smothered in butter, a bit of real maple syrup and toasted pecans.
Dessert
Pumpkin pie
Apple pie
Pumpkin Cheese Cake - for Jenni

I hope and pray as you prepare for your Thanksgiving Holiday that you will be reminded of all we have to be thankful for. We have been blessed beyond belief.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, my mouth is watering from the description of your Thanksgiving menu! and I LOVE the name you called it, 'Thanksgiving Re-run' so fun! I totally need your cranberry recipe and the squash stuffing recipe! THOSE SOUND DELISH!!!! :) Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I'll talk Dan into going up to Portland on Saturday (we need to look for Dining Room tables/chairs) and then stop by your place! :) xoxo