Saturday, November 22, 2008

Comfort Food

I have been so thankful for the chilly weather we have had the last few weeks. I love fall, the colors, the temperature and most of all the comfort food that comes along with this time of year. When I talked to Shane the other day he was saying how much he enjoys the comforts of food (being a foodaholic myself, I can relate). Since he is eating cafeteria food right now he especailly misses my cooking. He said that he had to go to the PX to buy some junk food just to feel it's comfort. Guess he misses home. In honor of comfort food I thought I would post my favorite meat loaf recipe. My uncle Jack gave this recipe to me years ago and I use it often.

Italian Meat Loaf
1 1/5 lbs ground beef (or mixture of ground beef and sausage)
1 1/2 c. finely chopped onions
1 c. quick-cooking rolled oats or bread crumbs
2/3 c. ketchup
2/3 c. finely chopped fresh parsley
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon ground thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 c. shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
1 c. grated parmesan cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
*Kneed the mixture with your hands until everything is well blended. Do not overmix.
Fill the loaf pan with the meat mixture, mounding the top. Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake until the meat is firm to the touch and has shrunk from the sides of the pan or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the load reads 160 F, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Pour off the excess fat and let stand for 15 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that meatloaf recipe too :) I just made it for Dan the other night! Are you so excited to have figured out how to make cool backgrounds? So funny, we are so much a like. I actually had that background you chose and then changed it to my Red Christmas one. :) Have a Fabulous Saturday. Miss you! XOXO

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to try that recipe.

And I love the new blog "look". xoxo